THIS CHURCH had its beginning in the summer of 1958 when a young minister named Joe D. Hayes, with his wife Carol, came to Flat Rock and began holding services in an old house that stood at the corner of Mill Street and Gibraltar Road. Rev. Hayes was out of Temple Baptist Church in Detroit and had attended Baptist Bible College in Springfield, Missouri. Due to ill health Mr. Hayes was led to resign about a year later, but during that time he laid a good foundation to build upon: the Church was organized and nearly 2 acres of property was purchased on Gibraltar Road.
On July 5, 1959 the little congregation was meeting in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Hubert Hurst on Tamarack Street when they called Dr. Harold H. Clark to be their pastor. On this day they had 22 present. A week later the invitation was accepted. Soon we moved back into the old house at Mill Street. Quickly the Sunday School began to grow, a bus was purchased, and we started giving 10% of the offerings to missions. We have continued giving this amount plus special offerings and Faith Promise Offerings during the 12 years that have followed and the Lord God has supplied all of our financial needs in a wonderful way, but during these years only one church contributed to our support; and that was in the amount of $30.00.
In January 1962 the Church moved into its first building, on the two acres at it's current location on Gibraltar Rd., built solely by faith.We also started giving to Missions through Faith Promise Giving. In ’63 we built a 42 by 36 foot Sunday School Building. Many souls were saved and added to the Church, and the Sunday School reached a high of 242 soon thereafter, on an Easter Sunday Morning. The Lord gave us faithful people to work with, and they have done much of the building. Our present auditorium was dedicated to the Lord in the spring of ’69. This was a day of rejoicing among our people because of God’s blessings upon their labors. They did much of the work, and some of the brethren were injured in a near-tragic accident. But God gave the VICTORY. God has given us additional property so that the Church now owns about five and a half acres.
In 1978 the Church Parsonage was added. With many updates through the years, a new addition was added in 2001, a 6000 square foot Fellowship hall that was named in 2008 on the Churches 50th Anniversary, as Clark Hall in honor of Pastor and Mrs. Clark's 44 years of service. On October 3, 2003 Our current Pastor, David M. Miles Sr. was elected. The original Church Building of 1962 was converted into the Sunday School building in 1969, and remodeled in 2004; the original Sunday School building of 1963 became the youth Department in 1969. In 2006 a complete remodel of the current Auditorium was done, and in 2012 we added the Garage.